Friday, April 16, 2010

"It Was the Cross"

Day 16

Inscribed to my good friend, Talmadge J. Bittikofer
It Was the Cross

1. I sought for peace, but I sought in vain,
I was seized with deep despair
But the cross arose in outline plain,
And the peace I sought was there.

Refrain:
It was the cross,
It was the cross,
On which my Lord was crucified.
It was the cross,
It was the cross,
On which my blessed Savior died.


2. I longed for rest for my load was great
And the way was long and drear.
But an earnest look removed the weight
And it gave me hope and cheer.


3. I tried the world with its pleasures gay;
They were only empty dross,
But the burden fell and rolled away
When I found the Saviour’s cross.

Text: Victor Hatfield
Music: John C. Hallett
© Copyright 1946 by John C. Hallett

Because of the cross, we can have peace:

Colossians 1:19-23 “For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him, and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.

Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation— if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel.”

1 Corinthians 17-18 “For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.”

Ephesians 2:13-15 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility, by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace,

Just before Jesus was crucified on the cross , He told His disciples:   "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
(John 14:27)   "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."  (John 16:33)

The day of His resurrection [ Jesus Appears to His Disciples ] On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" (John 20:19)

Because of the cross, we can have rest.

Matthew 11:27-29 Jesus said: "All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”

Because of the cross, we can have freedom from burdens.

2 Corinthians 3:17 “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”

Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

What is your need today? Find peace, rest and freedom by looking to the cross.

“Look to the cross” does not imply there is something “special” about the wood structure, but the sinless Man who gave His life on the cross for us. His substitutionary death allows you and me to be free from the penalty of sin, therefore with the opportunity to receive peace, rest and freedom.

No comments: