Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say"

Are you listening? How are your ears? Do you hear Jesus speaking to you?

He is.

How do I know? Because He is inviting you to come.

Why? Because He loves you and He wants to help you!

You are probably tired and need some rest. Or needing some encouragement or direction. Thirsty? In the dark?

Check out these lyrics by Horatius Bonar that John Hallett took and added a melody to.

1. I heard the voice of Jesus say, "Come unto Me and rest;
Lay down, thou weary one, lay downThy head upon My breast."
I came to Jesus as I was, weary and worn and sad;
I found in Him a resting-place, and He has made me glad.

2. I heard the voice of Jesus say,"Behold, I freely give
The living water; thirsty one, Stoop down and drink and live."
I came to Jesus, and I drank of that life-giving stream.
My thirst was quenched, my soul revived,And now I live in Him.

3. I heard the voice of Jesus say,"I am this dark world's Light.
Look unto Me; thy morn shall rise and all thy day be bright."
I looked to Jesus, and I found in Him my Star, my Sun;
And in that Light of Life I'll walk till traveling days are done.

Text: Horatius Bonar, 1808-1899
Music: John C. Hallett
© Copyright 1960 by the Rodeheaver Co.

Look at the three personal invitations Jesus gives to us:

Verse 1 Come unto Me “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)

Verse 2 Drink the Living Water Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:13)

In John 7:38 Jesus declares, "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him."

Verse 3 I Am the Light of the World Jesus said "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)

The results of hearing the voice of Jesus:

verse 1: I came, I found rest and gladness
verse 2: I came, I drank and life revived
verse 3: I looked, I found light now and for my whole life

So what must I do?

Listen to the following words written by my good friend, Brucie Hibma. He has heard the voice of Jesus speaking to him as he has walked through some very difficult trials in his life.

Just a little difficulty hearing

As I lean into you your voice becomes much easier to hear.
Cleary the words I need for change of thought so severe
Can I lean in so far as to touch you would I be to near?
Would the touch and the word of your mouth to my heart endear?
Closer now I approach, leaning and learning to revere
Each phrase I hear I write on my heart and adhere.

© Copyright 2010 by Brucie R. Hibma

So, what shall I do? I will listen!





No comments: