Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What's in your mouth?

1 I will bless the LORD at all times;
         His praise shall continually be in my mouth.

 2 My soul shall make its boast in the LORD;
         The humble shall hear of it and be glad.

 3 Oh, magnify the LORD with me,
         And let us exalt His name together.
       
 4 I sought the LORD, and He heard me,
         And delivered me from all my fears.
                                         (Psalm 34:1-4)

When we meditate on the law of the Lord “day and night” (Psalm 1:2), we begin to establish some good habits.  Think:  so far today, have I thought about God’s Word?  For example, one way to do this is to “relate” the things that are happening around you in the natural world to the scriptures.

Often as I see the sun rising in the morning, I am reminded of the verse in Malachi 4:2 ” But to you who fear My name The Sun of Righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings;”

As I think on this verse, I make it a prayer that the “Sun of Righteousness,” Jesus, will heal people I am praying for who have some physical, emotional, and spiritual need.  This reminds me to pray for them again, but also helps me to meditate more on Who Jesus is and what He can do.

As I train myself to meditate on the Word of God through-out the day and into the night, Psalm 34:1 becomes more of a reality!  “I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise shall continually be in my mouth.”

To be able to say this is a great testimony.  I am the first to admit that this is not always the case in my life (and mouth!).  First of all, this is an act of my will. “I will bless the Lord at all times.”  “I” am the one who chooses to do this.  “I” have control over what I say.

Remember:  God’s word says “A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45)

Therefore, if I meditate on the Word, day and night, guess what is likely to come out of my mouth?  Blessing and praise. 

So, throughout the day, it is good to stop and ask myself:  "What's in my mouth?"

No comments: