Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Sweet Meditation


“You send forth Your Spirit, they are created: and you renew the face of the earth. The glory of the LORD shall endure for ever: the LORD shall rejoice in his works. He looks on the earth, and it trembles: he touches the hills, and they smoke. I will sing unto the LORD as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being. My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD. (Psalm 104:30-34)

My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the LORD.

Charles Spurgeon wrote on this verse:

My meditation of him shall be sweet. Sweet both to him and to me. I shall be delighted thus to survey his works and think of his person, and he will graciously accept my notes of praise. Meditation is the soul of religion. It is the tree of life in the midst of the garden of piety, and very refreshing is its fruit to the soul which feeds thereon. And as it is good towards man, so is it towards God. As the fat of the sacrifice was the Lord's portion, so are our best meditations due to the Most High and are most acceptable to him. We ought, therefore, both for our own good and for the Lord's honour to be much occupied with meditation, and that meditation should chiefly dwell upon the Lord himself: it should be "meditation of him." For want of it much communion is lost and much happiness is missed.”  (Treasury of David

The last words ever written by Henry Martyn as he was dying, “I sat in the orchard and thought with sweet comfort and peace of my God, in solitude my company, my Friend and Comforter.”

As we observe nature and the hand of God in nature, see His marvelous wisdom and His glory, we can’t help but have a song in our heart! Experience the brilliant colors of a sunset, the majesty of snow-capped mountains, an exquisite flower, the smile of a new-born baby….and the heart wants to sing a song of praise to God.  Our meditation of Him is sweet as we think about Him and what He has done.

Here is another sweet thought.  Look what the Lord has done in Psalm 3.  It is a Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom his son.

 1 LORD, how they have increased who trouble me!
         Many are they who rise up against me.
 2 Many are they who say of me,
         “There is no help for him in God.”  Selah 
        
 3 But You, O LORD, are a shield for me,
         My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
 4 I cried to the LORD with my voice,
         And He heard me from His holy hill.  Selah 
        
 5 I lay down and slept;
         I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.
 6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
         Who have set themselves against me all around.       

Talk about a sweet meditation!  In these days of turmoil in our world, can you say: “ I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustained me”?

If not, call on the Lord right now….talk to Him and ask Him to make Himself real to you.  Come into a relationship with Him. 
  • ·        He will give you sleep. 
  • ·        He will sustain you. 
  • ·        He will be your shield. 
  • ·        He will be your salvation!
Now, that is a sweet thought!

No comments: