Monday, January 9, 2012

Still don’t have anything for which to praise God?


We’ve been talking about praising God for Who He is and for what He has done.

Still don’t have anything for which to praise God? 

Here are a few things from Psalm 18.  You will want to read the whole Psalm, but let’s begin with verse 30.

As for God, his way is perfect;
   the word of the LORD is flawless.
He is a shield
   for all who take refuge in him.
31 For who is God besides the LORD?
   And who is the Rock except our God?
32 It is God who arms me with strength
   and makes my way perfect.
33 He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;
   he enables me to stand on the heights.
34 He trains my hands for battle;
   my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
35 You give me your shield of victory,
   and your right hand sustains me;
   you stoop down to make me great.
36 You broaden the path beneath me,
   so that my ankles do not turn.
 
 As you meditate on each one of these phrases, your heart wells up with praise for Who God is.  

You can feel the crescendo of praise as David completed this Psalm:

46 The LORD lives! Praise be to my Rock!
   Exalted be God my Savior!
47 He is the God who avenges me,
   who subdues nations under me,
 48 who saves me from my enemies.
You exalted me above my foes;
   from violent men you rescued me.
49 Therefore I will praise you among the nations, O LORD;
   I will sing praises to your name.
50 He gives his king great victories;
   he shows unfailing kindness to his anointed,
   to David and his descendants forever.

Why did David praise God with this Psalm?

He sang to the Lord the words of this song when the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul.

In other words, God won the victory for him!

Excitement comes when we win or when our team wins….and David had seen God win a great victory for him.

What has God done in your life?  Have you praised Him for it?

Now is a great time to start praising Him for what He has done and is doing in your life.  Let praise replace any complaining that might come when you think of what you “don’t have” yet.

No comments: