Friday, April 8, 2011

Same Mind with One Another


08.  Same Mind with One Another

“Be of the same mind with one another.”   (Romans 12:16)

Let's look at Romans 12:15-17 in several versions:

15Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
 16Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation.
 17Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men.(NASV)


15Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
 16Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
 17Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. (KJV)


15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[a] Do not be conceited.
 17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody. (NIV)

 14-16Bless your enemies; no cursing under your breath. Laugh with your happy friends when they're happy; share tears when they're down. Get along with each other; don't be stuck-up. Make friends with nobodies; don't be the great somebody.
 17-19Don't hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you've got it in you, get along with everybody. Don't insist on getting even; that's not for you to do. "I'll do the judging," says God. "I'll take care of it."(The Message)

Other scriptures give the same thought:

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus,"  Romans 15:5

John 17:20-24:   Jesus Prays for All Believers
    20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23 I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.    24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

 Ask:

            Why is unity the very essence of the gospel?

            What are some other results of unity in the body of Christ?


Action:  Unity is possible, but it takes effort.  The key to unity is spiritual maturity that reflects love.  Name one thing you can do to become more mature spiritually and will promote unity in your relationships.

No comments: