Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Carry One Another’s Burdens


20.  “Carry one another’s Burdens”

My goal for today is to “carry one another’s burdens” 

God’s Word declares: Galatians 6:2  Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”

“Bear one another's burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ.”  (NASB)



Do you see a Christian brother or sister burdened in some way?  Don’t let them fall under the weight of that burden, whether it be physical or emotional or whatever.  Remember how the scribes and Pharisees handled such situation? "They bind heavy burdens hard to bear and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with their finger" (Mt. 23:4). We must not increase others' burdens, but make them lighter. Besides helping the load for someone else, you are fulfilling the law of Christ.

I like what John Piper said about this.  “In this way you fulfill the law of Christ (6:2). That's an odd phrase in a book that says (5:18): "If you are led by the Spirit you are not under the law." And (3:13): "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law." Have we been freed from the curse and burden of the Mosaic law just to be burdened down with a more radical law of Christ? No. The difference is that Moses gave us a law but could not change our hearts so that we would freely obey. Our pride and rebellion was not conquered by Moses. But when Christ summons us to obey his law of love he offers us himself to slay the dragon of our pride, change our hearts, empower us by his Spirit and fulfill his law. That is why, even though Christ's law is more radical than the righteousness of the Scribes and Pharisees, he can say, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy-laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Mt. 11:28-30). The law of Christ is not easy because it's greasy, or permissive. It is easy because when we are weak he is strong. It's easy because he produces the fruit of love: "I am crucified with Christ, it is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me…" (2:20). Christ never commands us to do anything that he wants us to do on our own. Therefore every command in the law of Christ is a call to faith. Through faith God supplies the Spirit of Christ (Gal. 3:5); through the Spirit we produce the fruit of love (5:22); through love we fulfill the law of Christ (6:2). Therefore, if you trust him, you will fulfill his law of love. You will devote yourself to lifting the burdens of others.”    http://www.soundofgrace.com/piper83/081483m.htm

“Now we who are strong ought to bear the weaknesses of  those without strength and not just please ourselves.”  (Romans 15:1)

My choosing to “to carry each other’s burdens” will enable me to fulfill the law of  Christ, the “new commandment” of the “new covenant” in which Jesus stated, “By this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one to another.”

People who need to see a demonstration of my carrying their burdens today include:  (list names)

Carrying other people’s burdens will help me to grow in the following area(s):  (list)


Carrying other people’s burdens will help me to gain victory over:  


How am I like Jesus when I put into practice Galatians 6:2?

No comments: