Monday, February 9, 2009

John Hallett: J

Today we begin the first installment of John Hallett, From A to Z. To know and understand the man John Hallett one first realizes that his alphabet begins with a J . That J is not for John. In no way did it stand for John himself. John was a very humble man who realized that John was not first. He was not into self-promotion.

J is Jesus! One look at the texts of his songs and you will see they are all about Jesus! Read these texts and learn about John’s motivation and his philosophy of life. John gave his life to Jesus as a young boy and served his Savior his entire life. But we’ll talk about that later as we go through the alphabet.

For example: here are a few of his song titles:

There's No Disappointment in Jesus
When Jesus Calls
He Is The Theme Of My Song
Jesus, The Son of God
I Want To Live For Jesus
I Love To Sing Of Jesus
We Need Jesus
Let's Keep Shining For Jesus
How Could I Live Without Jesus

John Hallett’s life theme is summed up in one of his most well-known songs:

My Song of Songs
Words and Music by John C. Hallett
2nd stanza by Charlotte E. Arnold

My heart is filled with melody,
To Christ my Lord my very life belongs.
Since He came in I cannot help but ever sing
My Song of Songs.

Chorus
My Song of Songs
is Christ my Savior,
Of Him my heart shall ever sing.
He fills my life with joyous melody.
My Song of Songs is Jesus.

To think that Jesus died for me,
My heart is filled with never ending praise.
I want my life to glorify the Savior’s Name
Through all my days.

Chorus
My Song of Songs
is Christ my Savior,
Of Him my heart shall ever sing.
He fills my life with joyous melody
My Song of Songs is Jesus.

©1958 by the Rodeheaver Company. International Copyright Secured. All rights reserved.

One excellent arrangement of this song has been recorded on the CD My Song of Songs by Philip Smith, Principal Trumpet of the New York Philharmonic. He has been with the orchestra since October 1978, when he was appointed as Co-Principal Trumpet by Zubin Mehta. You can find a copy on Amazon.com. Read about Phil Smith: http://www.principaltrumpet.com/home.html

Whether John composed the words and music or collaborated with other writers, Jesus was his theme. Look at the texts of several of two more of his songs, including the last one he wrote the music for before he passed away, Oh Sing That Name, the Name of Jesus.

Above All Names
Lyrics by Alice Reynolds Flower
Music by John C. Hallett

The Name that God hath lifted high,
Above all names in earth or sky,
The Name eternal praise shall cry,
The matchless Name, The Name of Jesus.

The Name of holy worship sweet,
The Name through which all peoples meet,
The Name in which our prayers entreat,
The blessed Name, The Name of Jesus!

‘Tis softly breathed in needy hour,
‘Tis shouted loud against sin’s pow’r
This Name above all names doth tow’r,
The mighty Name, The Name of Jesus!
The mighty Name, The Name of Jesus!

John continued writing up to the end of his life. And the theme of his song? You are right! His wife Ruth said, “This was the last song Johnnie composed.”

Oh Sing That Name, the Name of Jesus
Lyrics by Leroy C. Webber
Music by John C. Hallett

Oh, sing that name, the name of Jesus,
That name above all names in earth and heaven.
Sometimes in whispered prayer, then loudly sound
I love that name, that mighty name.

It is that name, the name of Jesus.
It conquers doubts and fears and brings us peace.
Adore Him Heaven above, on Earth let praises now begin.
Oh, praise His name.

At His coming that great name was given
By an angel brought down to Earth.
Now the maiden called by God and chosen
Holds the baby in her loving care.

She sings that name in a tender lullaby,
Oh wondrous mystery how can it be?
That precious name I love, that glorious matchless name of Jesus
Oh sing that name.

Proclaim that name, the name of Jesus
Now see the gates of Him swing open wide.
The saints now gather on streets of gold,
In radiant light, Oh what a day!

But still that name, the name of Jesus,
Shall ever reign supreme thru endless time
And all the heavenly host and saints from all the ageless past
Shall praise His name.

I will be there in that celebration
And I’ll join them in that song of praise
To the Savior who has given salvation
And has brought me to this place of joy.

Then still that name, the name of Jesus
Will be my endless theme while ages roll
And so I’ll sing it now and raise my voice
And loud His praise.

Jesus, oh how sweet the name
Jesus, every day the same
Jesus, let all saints proclaim
His worthy praise forever.

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Please Help! I am searching for Am I a Soldier of the Cross ARRANGED by JOHNNIE HALLETT. I would like a copy to use in our church service. I remember singing this as a child at Brookdale Baptist. Johnnie's music was inspirational and instrumental in leading me to Christ. My husband and I live in California now and he is pastor of our Church. Thank you to anyone who can help and God's blessings on all who loved Johnnie's songs! Lynda