Sunday, February 12, 2012

"Song of Ascent" Psalm 121 (continued) "Divine Help"


  
Today I want to stay in Psalm 121 before continuing with the other “Songs of Ascent.”  Let’s focus on a powerful truth:  “My help comes from the Lord.”  

Can you say that again?

“My help comes from the Lord.” 

God helps His people.

The gods of this world are fearful, aloof; do not come to the help of people.  They are selfish and care “less” about anyone else’s needs.

God is not like that.  He IS our Help!

Now, is that not amazing?  The God of the universe, the Maker of heaven and earth is our Helper!



How does He help us?  

The best thing for us to do is read what He has written in His word.

Look what His word says:

“No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13)

 

“For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way, in order that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might make atonement for the sins of the people. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.”  (Hebrews 2:17-18)

 

Blessed are you, O Israel!
   Who is like you,
   a people saved by the LORD?
He is your shield and helper
   and your glorious sword.
Your enemies will cower before you,
   and you will trample down their high places.”
(Deuteronomy 33:29)

Even if you go and fight courageously in battle, God will overthrow you before the enemy, for God has the power to help or to overthrow.” (2 Chronicles 25:8)

 

Do not hide your face from me,
   do not turn your servant away in anger;
   you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
   O God my Savior. (Psalm 27:9)

 

The LORD is my strength and my shield;
   my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.

My heart leaps for joy
   and I will give thanks to him in song.
(Psalm 28:7)


Then I said, “Here I am, I have come—
   it is written about me in the scroll. (Psalm 40:7)

 

Surely God is my help;
   the Lord is the one who sustains me. (Psalm 54:4)

 

The LORD protects the simplehearted;
   when I was in great need, he saved me. (Psalm 116:6)

 

So do not fear, for I am with you;
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)


It is the Sovereign LORD who helps me.
   Who is he that will condemn me?
They will all wear out like a garment;
   the moths will eat them up. (Isaiah 50:9)

 

5 Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
   “Never will I leave you;
   never will I forsake you. (see Deut. 31:6)
 6 So we say with confidence,
   “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
   What can man do to me? (see Psalm 118:6,7 )   
(Hebrews 13:5-6)


You give me your shield of victory,
   and your right hand sustains me;
   you stoop down to make me great. (Psalm 18:35)

 

For the power of the wicked will be broken,
   but the LORD upholds the righteous. (Psalm 37:17)

 

In my integrity you uphold me
   and set me in your presence forever. Psalm 41:12)

 

They will lift you up in their hands,
   so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. (Psalm 91:12)

 

In all their distress he too was distressed,
   and the angel of his presence saved them.
In his love and mercy he redeemed them;
   he lifted them up and carried them
   all the days of old. (Isaiah 63:9)

  
O God, Our Help in Ages Past
Written by Isaac Watts, a paraphrase of Psalm 90

Our God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Our shelter from the stormy blast,
And our eternal home.

Under the shadow of Thy throne
Thy saints have dwelt secure;
Sufficient is Thine arm alone,
And our defense is sure.

Before the hills in order stood,
Or earth received her frame,
From everlasting Thou art God,
To endless years the same.

Thy Word commands our flesh to dust,
“Return, ye sons of men:”
All nations rose from earth at first,
And turn to earth again.

A thousand ages in Thy sight
Are like an evening gone;
Short as the watch that ends the night
Before the rising sun.

The busy tribes of flesh and blood,
With all their lives and cares,
Are carried downwards by the flood,
And lost in following years.

Time, like an ever rolling stream,
Bears all its sons away;
They fly, forgotten, as a dream
Dies at the opening day.

Like flowery fields the nations stand
Pleased with the morning light;
The flowers beneath the mower’s hand
Lie withering ere ‘tis night.

Our God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Be Thou our guard while troubles last,
And our eternal home.



Several videos of this hymn:

Traditional:  Westminster Abbey - Oh God Our Help in Ages Past

Contemporary arrangement of the hymn
"O God Our Help" - Live at Thomas Road Baptist Church

No comments: