Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Solid and Secure Foundation (Psalm 127)


Psalm 127
Unless the LORD builds the house,
They labor in vain who build it;
Unless the LORD guards the city,
The watchman keeps awake in vain.

Let’s give some more thought to Psalm 127, verse 1

“Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; “

The main thought is that we are entirely dependent on God for the entire process of building in our lives….for everything!  Everything that man builds will eventually crumble and disappear. On what are we dependent?

What would you list?  How about:

·        Life
·        Health
·        Strength
·        Wisdom
·        Ability
·        ……or to put it  plainly:  Everything!

Where do you think our breath comes from?  It is from the Lord.  Finances?  Sure, we work and earn a paycheck.  But who provided the job?  Oh, you say, “I got the job.”  You may have, but ultimately it was the Lord who provided.

We work hard…..but, it can all be gone in an instant…..destroyed by fire, wind, water, earthquake, war, or some other disaster.

We are completely dependent on the Lord.  He supplies all we need to live our lives.  We must acknowledge this.

“And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.  Now to our God and Father be the glory forever and ever.”  (Philippians 4:19-20)

So what is this all about when it comes to spiritual progress?

It is about TRUSTING the Lord.  You can trust Him because He will do what He says He will do!

Can He provide for me in these tough financial days?

I can certainly say “Yes” to that.  The Lord has supplied all we have needed over 40+ years of marriage.  He has supplied finances when we needed them; healing when we have needed it; health when we went years without any hospitalization insurance; strength when we thought we’d not make it through the day.  I could go on and on and on.  God is faithful. 

Let the Master Builder build your life.  He will teach you how to build your life.

For example, Hebrews 3:4   “For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.

On what do we build our lives?  It is on God’s Word.



Hear the teaching of Jesus found in Matthew 7, the story of the two foundations:
Cross references:

    24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. 26 Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. 27 The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.”

Obey the Master Builder (Jesus) and the foundation of your life will be solid and secure.  



The Solid Rock
Words:  Edward Mote

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweetest frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' name

Chorus:
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand


When darkness veils His lovely face
I rest on His unchanging grace
In every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds within the veil

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound
O may I then in Him be found
Dressed in His righteousness alone
Faultless to stand before the throne

On Christ the Solid Rock I Stand by Avalon

Here is a "sing-a-long" version:
 
My hope is built on nothing less



Story behind the hymn The Solid Rock

“One morn­ing it came into my mind as I went to la­bour, to write an hymn on the ‘Gra­cious Exper­i­ence of a Christ­ian.’ As I went up Hol­born I had the chor­us,

‘On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand.’

In the day I had four first vers­es com­plete, and wrote them off. On the Sab­bath fol­low­ing I met bro­ther King as I came out of Lisle Street Meet­ing…who in­formed me that his wife was ve­ry ill, and asked me to call and see her. I had an ear­ly tea, and called af­ter­wards. He said that it was his usu­al custom to sing a hymn, read a por­tion, and en­gage in pray­er, be­fore he went to meet­ing. He looked for his hymn-book but could find it no­where. I said, ‘I have some vers­es in my pock­et; if he liked, we would sing them.’ We did, and his wife en­joyed them so much, that af­ter ser­vice he asked me, as a fa­vour, to leave a co­py of them for his wife. I went home, and by the fire­side com­posed the last two vers­es, wrote the whole off, and took them to sis­ter King…As these verses so met the dy­ing wo­man’s case, my at­ten­tion to them was the more ar­rest­ed, and I had a thou­sand print­ed for dis­tr­ibu­tion.” 

Edward Mote
Let­ter to the Gos­pel Her­ald



No comments: