Thursday, March 5, 2009

John Hallett X

Continuing in John Hallett: From A to Z

X = Xtra!

Today we get an Xtra edition of John Hallett’s life: facts and figures about an amazing man! Here are a variety of facts about John’s life and ministry.

John was born at 1:45 p.m. on August 22, 1917 in the home of his parents, John and Ethel Hallett, at 22 Tayntor Avenue, Binghamton, New York. One record says he was 9 pounds, another record says he was 10 pounds 2 ounces. No height is listed.

Spiritual Journey

John faithfully attended Sunday School at the Calvary Baptist Church in Binghamton. On September 16, 1923 he received a Beginner’s Department Promotion Certificate to the Primary Department.

Then….Primary to Junior Department: September 26, 1926.
Junior to Intermediate Department: September 29, 1929.
Intermediate to Senior Department: October 2, 1932.
(Yes, there are signed certificates for each of these)

The most important “certificate” says: MY DECISION FOR JESUS. “I believe JESUS died for me and I now accept Him as MY SAVIOUR. John C. Hallett, 152 LeRoy St., Sunday School attended: Calvary Baptist. Age: 8 Date: January 16, 1926.

Licensed to preach. “This is certify that at a meeting of the Calvary Baptist Church, at Binghamton, N.Y., held on the 11th day of August, 1942, our brother John C. Hallett whom we believe to have been called of God to the work of The Gospel Ministry, was Licensed to preach the Gospel as he may have opportunity, and to exercise his gifts in the work of the Ministry, except in administering the ordinances of Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.” Reverend Kenneth A. Muck, Pastor (signed) A.E. Hoyt, clerk (signed).

Certificate of Baptism. “Upon profession of his faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, John Hallett was baptized by me into the fellowship of the Calvary Baptist Church at Binghamton, N.Y. on April 17, 1927. Herbert M. Pease, Pastor (signed)

Certificate of Membership. This is to verify that John Hallett was received into membership of the Calvary Baptist Church of Binghamton, N.Y. on the 1st day of May, 1927. Herbert M. Pease, Pastor (signed)

Educational Journey

John appeared to be a conscientious student. We have certificates for the three years—1930, 1931, 1932—during which time he was “Neither Tardy Nor Absent.” (as stated on the certificate).

Port Dickinson School: attended there in the 6th grade.

Junior High School. “This certifies that John Hallett having completed the Course of Study as prescribed by the State of New York for The Port Dickinson Junior High School is entitled to this Certificate. Given at Port Dickinson, New York this 27th day of June. A.D. 1933.” J. Edward Hurlburt, Superintendent (signed), Glenn A. Slater, Principal.

High School. “Department of Education. Binghamton Central High School. John Hallet has satisfactorily completed the academic course of study prescribed by the Board of Education for the High School and is awarded this Diploma. Granted on this twenty-second day of June. A.D. 1937. H.E. Weaver, Principal, Daniel J. Kelly, Superintendent of Schools (signed).

Piano Lessons

John Hallett began his musical career at the age of six by studying piano at the Binghamton conservatory. Later training included organ, harmony, conducting and composition.

One of John’s piano lesson note books contains 3 years of lesson assignments, meticulously written in color pencil and pencil by his teacher, Mrs. Allene K. Bixby of Binghamton, N.Y. September 27, 1929 first piano lesson in this series of notebooks.

He studied at Moody Bible Institute and New York University.

John wrote in an undated article: “The Lord did call me to use my musical talent in his service, the greatest work in all the world. I received most of my training as a young boy in Binghamton Conservatory of Music. I started piano lessons about the age of six. I had a wonderful teacher who also taught me theory, keyboard harmony and ear training.

I went to Binghamton Central High School, one of the few high schools offering a music course. Ray Hartley, known throughout the Triple Cities as a fine musician, taught the music course.. He took an interest in me and inspired me to write my own music. It was a privilege to take ear-training, harmony and composition during my high school years, a student of this great teacher.

In my early years, I was most interested in baseball. Music too, of course, and I was the substitute pianist and organist at Calvary Baptist Church in Binghamton.”

Music Director

John Hallett has served as Music Director at the Philadelphia Bible Institute and the Northeastern Bible Institute. He has also been Music Director of the Children’s Bible Hour of Grand Rapids, Michigan on the ABC network. In addition to churches mentioned in other articles.


My Song of Songs

One of John’s great songs that has been recorded by a number of well known musicians, including the late Jerome Hines of the New York Metropolitan Opera. Also, Philip Smith, Solo Principal Trumpet for the New York Philharmonic.
http://www.principaltrumpet.com/home.html?p=bio

My Song of Songs is referenced in the blog on J = Jesus.

On the website of the Salvation Army’s USA Eastern Territory Music Publications we find this note about Philip Smith:

“The Salvation Army has a long and distinguished history of producing excellent brass players. From Sydney to London, Chicago to New York, Salvationist musicians can be found in the brass sections of leading orchestras throughout the world. One of the finest players ever to first buzz a mouthpiece in The Salvation Army band program is Philip Smith. Introduced to the cornet by his father, the legendary cornet soloist and bandmaster, Derek Smith, Philip built his musical foundation through Salvation Army band and music camp program, then refined his skills at New York's prestigious Julliard School of Music.

The Philip Smith Signature Series features music performed by Philip with the New York Staff Band of The Salvation Army on the critically acclaimed recording My Song of Songs.

The text below is taken from the program notes of My Song of Songs, written by Philip Smith.

“I was tuned into "My Song of Songs" for several reasons. My dad mentioned it some time ago. Johnny Hallett dedicated it to "my esteemed friend, Erik Leidzen," a beloved writer of Salvation Army music and a professional composer. I love the words too. After all, what more can I say as a professional musician than that "He fills my life with joyous melody." And spiritually, my desire is that Christ will always be my song of songs.” http://www.music.use-salvationarmy.org/pubs/signature.html

If you want a great recording, look for the CD entitled, My Song of Songs by Philip Smith with the New York Staff Band of The Salvation Army.

Salvation Army

John had many associations with the Salvation Army. Two of the leading writers in the Salvation Army, Erik Leidzen and Emil Soderstrom, were men with whom he studied and collaborated in his writing and publishing. He presented workshops for Salvation Army conferences, directed Salvation Army band camps and knew many of the Salvation Army musicians, including Derek Smitih, himself a renowned cornetist, Philip Smith's father. In a number of John's books of choruses he used songs from The Salvation Army International Music Board.

Trans World Radio

John was a lifetime of the Board of Directors of Trans World Radio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a joy to be able to remember the life and ministry of my mentor and friend, Johnnie Hallett. You have done a good job in capturing the vision and drive of this wonderful servant of our Lord. Johnnie has influenced my life and that of my wife Joan in many ways. We are thankful for this tribute. I think "My Song of Songs" really says it all. Being and old trumpet player, every time I hear Phil Smith play it, it inevitably brings tears to my eyes. But, also, joy to my heart. Jesus is our Saviour. Thanks again for this. Bill Mial (for Joan too!)