Tuesday, July 3, 2007

A watch, a radio, and a flashlight



I have chosen July 3, 2007 to launch my blog so I can honor the memory of my father, "Pastor T,"
Arne
Thorodd
Thomassen.
Today marks the first anniversary of his funeral held at Cornerstone Assembly of God in New Richmond, Wisconsin. Burial with military honors was at Ft. Snelling National Cemetery in St. Paul, Minnesota. Dad was a member of the 99th Infantry Battalion (Separate), Norwegian-American Ski Troops during World War II. Those years in the army shaped his entire live. But, we can talk about that at another time.


Let me give a window into his life from his watch, his radio and his flashlight.

The watch….dad was never without his watch. Even in the nursing home when he could not speak but a few words, he continually looked at his watch. He wanted to make sure every one knew it was time for him to be wheeled to the Dining Room! Dad was a man who was on time. You could count on him! He honored his commitments. If he said he’d be there at 9:00 a.m., he was there and usually early. His watch accompanied him everywhere. I remember for a while he carried his dad’s pocket watch. He was very proud of that. Even today I am continually reminded of that watch for the last one he possessed is on the file cabinet in my office which is closest to my desk. It sits next to his coffee cup from the 99th’s 50th Reunion in Denver in 1995 and next to the picture of my brothers George, Curtis and me holding the flag given to us during military honors at the grave side in Ft. Snelling. This watch is a real treasure because it is a symbol of a real treasure: Dad! Now that treasure is timeless!

The radio…was never far from dad. As a child I remember seeing a small black radio on a night stand on his side of the bed. After a long, busy day of his work as a pastor, he loved to lay in bed listening to London or broadcasts from other parts of the world on his short wave radio. He wanted to know what was happening in the world. Dad first of all loved God, loved his family and loved people. Those were his priorities throughout his 85 years of life on this earth. His concern for people is legendary. For example, there are countless numbers of people, from high school students to prisoners who have enjoyed his generosity of the doughnuts he’d bring them! In fact, our son, as a young boy, used to call him “Poppa Dono” because every time Grandpa came to the house to visit he brought doughnuts! People were his priority. That radio kept him informed as to what was happening with people.

The flashlight…next to the radio in the bedroom was the flashlight! You don’t go to bed without it near by. You never know if you have to get up in the middle of the night! What if the electricity goes out? With the flashlight, you’ll find your way. It was one of the first things packed in the suitcase on a trip. When you are sleeping in a strange place, you need that light to help you find your way in the middle of the night! Even today, my family has picked up the flashlight habit! My wife, my son…both like to know where “the flashlight is.” Thanks to Dad we keep the light near by.

I was reminded of another light he always had at hand: God's Word. As I have been thinking of Dad today, it was like he was speaking to me as I read Proberbs 3:

My son, do not forget my teaching,
But let your heart keep my commandments;
For length of days and years of life,
And peace they will add to you.
Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favor and good repute
In the sight of God and man.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.

Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the Lord and turn away from evil.
It will be haling to your body
And refreshment to your bones.
Honor the Lord from your wealth,
And from the first of all your produce;
So your barns will be filled with plenty,
And your vats will overflow with new wine.
My son, do not reject the disciple of the Lord,
Or loather His reproof,
For whom the Lord loves He reproves,
Even as a father, the son in whom he delights.”
(Proverbs 3:1-12 New American Standard Version)


Thanks, dad, for the watch to keep me on time and remember my commitments to people!
Thanks, dad, for the radio to keep me informed about people and the world around me.
And, thanks, dad for the flashlight to help me through the dark world in which we live. For I am reminded of a verse you often quoted: “Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.” (Psalm 119:105)

Your life has shown me the way. I love you, Dad. Thanks for the memories.

Roger



4 comments:

Laurie Muirhead said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dad. Thank you, Roger, for sharing these encouraging words and thoughts to honor him.

Anonymous said...

What a rich heritage we have! We love and miss you, Grandpa!

Krista

Anonymous said...

Your Dad, Uncle Arne to me, is a blessing beyond belief!! I see him in that great cloud of witnesses and it blesses my heart and soul. HE R E A L L Y did love people and I know he loved me. I felt it in every note, card, and verse that continued to come my way. It was just perfect and always on time. I honor his memory and the rich heritage that he has bestowed on you and your family. All my love, Elayn

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling these stories about your dad. I met him several times, and had lunch with him at his home. My dad was born in Glenwood in 1906 and was also a member of the 99th. Your dad told me "he had three families, his wife and children, his church family, and the 99th." Your dad was a wonderful man who left a large impression on everyone who met him. He is missed.