Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Thank you, John Johnson from Bergen, North Dakota!

It is good to say thank you!

On this day as we celebrate the birthday of the United States, we also pause to remember the many men and women who have given their lives for our nation. We remember those who gave the ultimate sacrifice of their life for the cause of freedom. We also desire to give thanks to many who have sacrificed time and energy in their country through the military, but also in every level and branch of government. Countless millions of others selflessly serve others through community service. To each of you we say “Thank You!”

Although Dad (Arne Thomassen) lived to be 85, he was willing to give so others could have freedom. This “willingness” is what is important.

The following are dad’s words which he wrote in a book my mother compiled about his World War II experiences entitled, “My Military Memorabilia.”

Psalm 92:1-4 “It is good to say ‘Thank you’ to the Lord, to sing praises to God who is above all gods. Every morning tell Him, ‘Thank you for your kindness!’ And every evening rejoice in all His faithfulness. Sing His praises, accompanied by music from the harp and lute and lyre. You have done so much for me, O Lord. No wonder I am glad! I sing for joy.”

I would like to tell you why I am thankful to the Lord. Everyone’s life experiences are different. Our backgrounds are different. Our bringing up was perhaps different. Things have happened to us that we never dreamed would happen. I never dreamed I would experience the things I did. Had I known beforehand what was going to take place when I went into the Army, I would have wondered how am I ever going to get through this….But…the Lord is faithful, and what I am going to share is my continued thanks to Him for His faithfulness.

…I was sent to Fort Snelling, Minnesota, and discovered that I was part of a unique group in the Army. Most of the men were of Norwegian descent.

We stated at Fort Snelling for about a month and a half and then we moved to Camp Hale, Colorado, for mountain training. We found out that we were formed to take part in the invasion of Norway and work with the Norwegian Underground. We went overseas in August of 1943. Plans were changed and in June of 1944 we crossed the English Channel to France. We went ashore on June 22nd after having been battered by a storm and nightly fighter plane raids.

In the month of August, while in a staging area, I asked our chaplain if he had any books I could read. He said, “Look in my field desk and take whatever you want.” I found a book entitled “Under His Wings” by O. Hallesby, published by Augsburg Publishing House. I started reading the book and then put it into my barracks bag. We were given orders to pull out the next day. We loaded into trucks and were sitting on our barracks bags instead of wooden benches. I was sitting next to a man from Colfax, Wisconsin, by the name of Orin Semingson. We hadn’t gone very far down the narrow dirt road when without warning the truck blew up. We had hit an anti-tank mine. Confusion reigned. Every one was trying to help each other. We managed to get everyone out of the truck, but all did not survive. My friend Orin had been wounded and did not survive. Eight were injured and three died. I received a broken ear drum and some bruises and half of my head felt numb. One of the sergeants asked me how I was. I told him that half of my head felt numb. He replied, “Well, that’s normal for you.” The sergeant was a lot bigger and stronger than me, so I just let the remark pass.

On another occasion I was sitting across from a fellow cleaning his gun (which was not supposed to be loaded) and a bullet whizzed by my head. Then we were taking a break during a march and the man who was sitting next to me said, “Watch, I’ll bet I can lift the 45 revolver from Simon’s holster and he won’t know it.” (That gun was not supposed to be loaded). He took the gun and pointed it to the ground…and bang…the bullet struck a bag leaning against my right foot and tore a hole in the bag.

In the month of December 1944, during the Battle of the Bulge, we got a call that one of our men had been wounded. About six men went out to get him. On the way back, we came to a stone fence which had to be crossed. I was helping to carry the litter. I was in the right front position, my friend John Johnson from Bergen, North Dakota was behind me. John and the other men in the rear positions jumped over the fence, so now I was in the rear. We hadn’t gone very far before we heard gunfire. We all hit the ground. When the firing stopped, John was dead. If it had not been for the stone fence we had to cross, I would not be here to tell you this story.

I cannot help but say…Thanks to the Lord for giving me the chance to live and to dedicate my life to the ministry. The Lord has been faithful to me and I pray that I may always be faithful to Him. As the Psalmist said in the 92nd Psalm, “You have done so much for me, O Lord. No wonder I am glad. I sing for joy.”

A book had been sent to John Johnson and it had been given to me since I was with him when he died. The book was “God’s Word for Today,” by O. Hallesby, the same author as “Under His Wings.”


On this 4th of July, we say Thank You, Lord, but we also say thank you to the men and women who have sacrificed their lives so other could live.

Along with Dad, our family says Thank you, John Johnson from Bergen, North Dakota, for making the ultimate sacrifice. Yes, Dad was faithful to the ministry God gave him…for over 50 years!

2 comments:

~Alicia said...

That is one of my most favourite stories that Grandpa would tell about his army days- Johnny Johnson. I don't remember the first time I heard that story- I was quite young- but I never forgot it, and I never forgot that man. When I would feel down about my life and wonder why I was here on earth, God would remind me that He had a plan and purpose for my life, and bring JJ to mind to tell me that I was and am here for a reason. What a great story :)

Hope you are doing well- I miss y'alls ;) See you soon I hope.

Love,

Da Niece

Anonymous said...

Great work.