Friday, June 29, 2012

In Memorium


Six years ago today, my father, Arne T. Thomassen, went to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  He was 85 years old.  Although we were saddened with his passing, we rejoiced that he no longer had to suffer in the prison of his body.  He could now talk, sing, walk, move around without any difficulty.


One of his favorite passages of Scripture was Psalm 91,  in particular verses 1 and 2:

(1)  He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
(2) I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress;
My God, in Him I will trust.”

Under His Wings was one of his favorite hymns.

Words by Will­iam O. Cush­ing, 1896, and music by Ira D. Sank­ey.  Cushing faced a series of trials in his life time.  After his wife passed away, “…..   ‘creeping paralysis’ stole his voice and prevented him from preaching any longer. He pleaded with the Lord to allow him to continue to serve in some capacity.”

His prayer was granted. He wrote over 300 hymns. Some of these are still beloved by the church. "Follow on" was written in 1878 to a tune by Robert Lowry. "Follow, follow, I will follow Jesus; anywhere, everywhere..." it promises. "Under His Wings," printed and sung by Ira Sankey, sprang out of Cushing's personal suffering and was suggested by Psalm 17:8, "Hide me under the shadow of your wings."  http://www.christianity.com/ChurchHistory/11630395/

Enjoy this wonderful hymn text:






Under His wings I am safely abiding,
Though the night deepens and tempests are wild,
Still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me,
He has redeemed me, and I am His child.


Refrain:

     Under His wings, under His wings,
     Who from His love can sever?
     Under His wings my soul shall abide,
     Safely abide forever.

Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!
How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!
Often when earth has no balm for my healing,
There I find comfort, and there I am blessed.

Refrain

Under His wings, oh, what precious enjoyment!
There will I hide till life’s trials are o’er;
Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me,
Resting in Jesus, I’m safe evermore.

Refrain

No comments: