Monday, June 21, 2010

"All The Way My Savior Leads Me"

“Songs My Father Sang”

All The Way My Savior Leads Me

In dad’s later years he often referred to the song All The Way My Savior Leads Me. I believe it was the text that was his life’s story. He had seen the amazing way in which “Jesus lead me (him) all the way.” This is a wonderful text. Take each verse one at a time. Read it aloud. Not only reflect on the text, but reflect on the events of your life. Remember how God has lead you. Remember what Romans 8:28 says: And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

William J. Reynolds shares the sty behind the song: “Fanny Crosby and her husband, Alexander Van Alstyne, lives in small, meager apartments, called ‘flats” in tenement houses on the east side and west side of Lower Manhattan. Their many wealthy friends would have gladly provided better accommodations, but they declined their help. Bernard Ruffin, in his excellent biography Fanny Crosby, points out that Fanny gave away all she received above her basic needs. To live with the poor and be one of them was her desire, and ministering to the poor was part of her mission in life. Dressmakers, hackmen, grocery clerks, carpenters, shoemakers, and porters--even some free slaves—were her neighbors. Frequently she invited neighbors into her flat and entertained them by playing the guitar and singing.

One day in the fall of 1874, Fanny did no have enough money to pay the rent. She prayed earnestly that the Lord would provide her need. Not long after, there was a knock at the door. When Fanny opened the door, someone pressed a folded paper in to her hand and left without speaking a word. It was the ten dollars she needed for the rent. Later that day, out of gratitude for this blessing from the Lord, she wrote the hymn “All The Way My Savior Leads Me.” What a blessing it isfr us to read the words and sing the hymn knowing the event that prompted it.” (p. 21 Songs of Glory. Grand Rapids: Baker Books, 1990)

All The Way My Savior Leads Me

Text: Fanny J. Crosby, published 1875
Music: Robert Lowry

All the way my Savior leads me,
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

All the way my Savior leads me,
Cheers each winding path I tread,
Gives me grace for every trial,
Feeds me with the living Bread.
Though my weary steps may falter
And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see;
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see.

All the way my Savior leads me,
Oh, the fullness of His love!
Perfect rest to me is promised
In my Father’s house above.
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
Wings its flight to realms of day
This my song through endless ages:
Jesus led me all the way;
This my song through endless ages:
Jesus led me all the way.

Meditate on these scriptures that are alluded to in the song text.

Psalm 48:14 “For this God is our God for ever and ever; He will be our guide even to the end.”

Psalm 78:13-16 “He (God) divided the sea and led them (Israel) through; He made the water stand firm like a wall. He guided them with the cloud by day and with light from the fire all night. He split the rocks in the desert and gave them water as abundant as the seas; He brought streams out of a rocky crag and made water flow down like rivers.

Isaiah 49:10 “They will neither hunger nor thirst, nor will the desert heat or the sun beat upon them. He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water.

Revelation 7:17 "For the Lamb which is in the midst of the throne shall feed them, and shall lead them unto living fountains of waters: and God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes."

No comments: